4.24.2008

I Don't Need a Receipt

I should have warned you all that my Earth Week comments would not always be about action...that some may be purely research. Today's effort is just that.

This morning I stopped at Panera to pick up a sweet treat for breakfast. After placing my pastry in a paper bag, the lady handed me a 7" receipt for a $2.58 purchase. Why in the world did I need a receipt. Anyone that has ever had Panera knows that I was NOT going to return the pastry. This receipt phenomenon has gotten out of hand in my opinion. It is sad to say that my wonderful Target is probably the worst. Each receipt now comes equipped with gift receipt, credit card and survey offer...YIKES. In buying three items, my receipt was at least 12" long. That could easily equate to a sheet of paper per transaction depending on the number of items that you purchase...that blows my mind!

In my research efforts, I was blessed to find this great article about this fabulous company AllEtronic, that gives retailers the option of providing consumers with a paperless receipts. The article is dated 04.06.08, so it appears that the concept is fairly new, but one that I am starting to love. The only question now is how to get the information into the hands of the places that we love to shop. I say write a letter and encourage others to do the same. The service is free for consumers and "affordable" for retailers. Just imagine how much paper we could save if only the major retailers in your area bought into this concept and the worry of searching for that receipt when you need it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

You have taught me a lot this week on the art of recycling. I am definitely try some of these tips. Thanks for trying to save the earth.

Anitra

Anonymous said...

Those receipts from Target drive me crazy. Why do I need a gift receipt for a case of wine and a US Weekly?

I guess they're trying to cut down on theft by requiring everyone to have receipts to return things, but it would make my trashbag a little lighter if they'd just train the cashiers to ask "do you need a gift receipt?" instead of "Would you like to save 10% by applying for a Target card today?"

But I can't lie, Target is my best friend.