4.21.2008

I Have My Own Bags

I am stealing this idea from my college buddy, Mary, in honor of Earth Day this week. Each day this week, believe it or not, I will post a way in which our family is attempting to conserve, recycle and reuse. I have never considered myself green, but now as I study for my LEED certification and look at how much is going green, I have no choice but to join the movement to protect the one earth that the good Lord gave us.


About three months I was at Target for our weekly Sunday trip and I stumbled across these great reusable sacks. They are neat becasue they fold and zip into themselves. I pruchased five of them and I keep them in my car or purse for easy access. So, for the past three months, I have significantly reduced the number of plastic bags coming into our home. I use them for groceries, for carrying stuff to work and church, for delivering food (I do get them back) and almost anything else. And, on days when I am over my five bag quota, I ask for paper bags that are also reused until they are limp from wear, at which point, I place them in the recycle bin. The bags are reasonable and a number of places now offer them for sale including Target, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, Lowe's Food and EarthFare. And at no more than $.99 to $1.50, they are well worth the $5 that I spent.

Nakira

1 comment:

CandCFamily said...

Yeah, we started this recently and even hubby has his own stash of bags in his car. They say you only need to use them 11 times before they become better than plastic/paper. I am sure I will get manyy more uses out of them than 11. Also, have you noticed how much they will hold?