7.07.2008

Feeling a Little Black Lately

Hey blog world! I must warn you that the title to this post is a direct reflection of its contents. I have really been feeling the effects of being black lately. I knew some eight years ago when I started to do real estate development, that this was historically a career path for white men, who worked into their rich old age. At the time, I was young, vibrant and up for the challenge. As I approach my mid-thirties, I am growing weary of the game. I am tired of the reluctant handshakes and forced conversations, the condescending attitudes and the stares. Does it not matter that I have been blessed with a talent to do the job placed in front of me. It is not everyday that folks are called in to man a $95 million development budget while keeping folks on schedule, in line and on time...not easy work and definitely not for the faint at heart. I wonder if I should not be able to do that since I am black because it always seems to amaze my white counterparts. Oh well...just needed to get that off of my chest, because it has me a little down lately.

In His love...Nakira

3 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Sorry it has you feeling down :( If it's any consolation, I think it happens in a lot of fields. I work with a lot of doctors and many of them think that if you don't have M.D. after your name, you must be a moron.

Spirit of Adoption said...

Oh girl, you keep pressing on and doing what the Lord calls you to do today! Don't let others put you in a 'place' the Lord has not called you to!!!!! Why are you downcast, oh my soul? Hope in God, He is my salvation!!! Psalm 42

I have a friend here who is a black woman in real estate! If you ever want to connect w/ her for encouragement, let me know : ) She's amazing! : )

Joan said...

Hi there! I saw your beautiful shop on Etsy & have enjoyed reading your blog a bit. I just had to comment because I saw you're in NC too! I'm in Greensboro. Anyway, my husband & I grew up near D.C. and moved here a few years ago...each day we became more and more aware of this phenomenon you're talking about!! I'm still in shock that people live this way and that just two states above here where we grew up, we rarely, rarely encountered it!
Bless you!
Joan, BitsyCreations